The town of Seggiano dates back to the 10th century and, like its olive groves, has strong roots in this territory.
Seggiano is cited in a public act from the year 903 using the place name Casale Senganu. The name of the hamlet, of Etruscan origins, most likely derived from the God Giano.
In the beginning the hamlet was a settlement belonging to the Abbey of San Salvatore. In 1200 it became an autonomous community under the jurisdiction of the Abbey of Sant’Antimo.
The autonomy was short lived, however, as Sienese rule took over the Abbey and the hamlet. In 1265, with the acquisition of the Cassero and the reinforcement of defense structures, city appointed officers were instituted by Siena.
With the Sienese conquest of the nearby town of Arcidosso in 1331, the importance of Seggiano began to decline. Some predominant Sienese noble families, like the Salimbeni and Urgugeri, (owners of a large iron-works) held onto their vast properties and continued hold influence in the area. The town remained a part of the Republic of Sienna Ritirata in Montalcino from 1555 to 1559, when the entire territory was annexed to the Grand Duchy of Tuscany.
The existing city walls are evidence of the town’s medieval origins. Seggiano was given municipal status in 1921 when it was separated from Castel del Piano.
The town center is filled with historic and artistic testaments to the medieval, renaissance and baroque history. The works of art within the Church of San Bartolomeo recount the presence of several important artists like Bulgarini and Lorenzetti.
Today’s citizens of Seggiano are proud of their town, its history, its culture and traditions. We at Seggianese are honored to be a part of this community.